Research Interests & Activities
- Executive function deficits in individuals with dual diagnosis – Phase I analysis
- DNA Alterations in schizophrenia: Relation to 22q11 deletions
- Testing two hit hypothesis for schizophrenia using 22q11 deleted patients with psychiatric disorders
- Prevalence of suicide in people with mentally retardation – a 20 year survey
- A retrospective analysis of obstetric and behavioural predictors in adolescents with developmental disabilities and severe behavioural problems
- Neurologically driven behaviours among people with mentally retardation. An analysis of obstetric, trauma and developmental factors in an in-patient population
- A comparison of adverse obstetric factors affecting children with mental handicap and normal controls
- Feasibility of a Tourette’s treatment program in London. A study of implications
Sudden onset Tourette’s and epilepsy: A case of two sisters
- Meta-analysis of efficacy of pharmacological treatment of Tourette’s Disorder
- Factors leading to the admission of severely behaviourally disturbed adults with mental retardation: a ten year retrospective study
- Major mental illness amongst adults with mental retardation. A community based survey in Southwestern Ontario.
- The relationship between sleep disturbances and aberrant behaviour in people with mental retardation
- Schizophrenia in people with mild mental retardation: Diagnostic robustness and challenge. A study of a community based sample
- Brain development and developmental disabilities
- Population based study of psychosis in people with Velo-cardio-facial syndrome
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals:
Cowie, V.A. and Rao, J.M. Reasons for Admission to a Hospital for the Mentally Handicapped: A Preliminary Survey of Admissions Over a Ten Year Period. British Journal of Clinical and Social Psychiatry, 1985, 3(4):77-80.
Rao, J. Murti. Trends in short term and long term care admissions to a hospital of the mentally handicapped and the influence of socio-economic, familial and clinical factors. Social Psychiatry, 1987, 22(2):118-122.
Rao, J. Murti, Cowie, V.A. and Mathew, B. Tardive dyskinesia in neuroleptic medicated mentally handicapped subjects. ACTA Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 1987, 76(5):507-513.
Rao, J.M. and Cowie, V.A. Burden of Caring for the Mentally Handicapped on the Families. British Journal of Clinical and Social Psychiatry, 1987, 5(3):76-77.
Rao, J.M. and Cowie, V.A. Sources of Referral to a Hospital for the Mentally Handicapped. British Journal of Clinical and Social Psychiatry, 1987, 5(4):119-121.
Rao, J.M. Comparison of trends in admissions and discharges in two adjacent hospitals for the mentally handicapped. Journal of Mental Deficiency Research, 1988, 32(4):301-307.
Rao, J. Murti, Cowie, V.A. and Mathew, B. Neuroleptic-induced parkinsonian side effects in the mentally handicapped. Journal of Mental Deficiency Research, 1989, 33(1):81-86.
Ganesh, S., Rao, J. Murti and Cowie, V.A. Akathisia in neuroleptic medicated mentally handicapped subjects. Journal of Mental Deficiency Research, 1989, 33(1):323-329.
Mathew, B., Rao, J.M. and Sundari, U. Lithium-induced changes in the body mass index. ACTA Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 1989, 80(6):538-540.
Rao, J.M., Sharma, S. and Radhakrishnan, G. Mental Illness in the Mentally Handicapped: A Study of Ten Years Referral to a Mental Handicap Hospital. British Journal of Clinical and Social Psychiatry, 1989, 7(3):148-151.
Rao, J. Murti. A population-based study of mild mental handicap in children: preliminary analysis of obstetric associations. Journal of Mental Deficiency Research, 1990, 34(1):59-65.
Fraser, W.I. and Rao, J. Murti. Recent studies of mentally handicapped young people’s behaviour. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 1991, 32(1):79-108.
Sivagamasundari, U., Fernando, H., Jardine, P., Rao, J.M., Lunt, P. & Jayewardene, S.L.W. The association between Coffin-Lowry syndrome and psychosis: a family study. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 1994, 38(5), 469-473.
Articles in Unrefereed Journals:
Rao, J. The Use of Psychotropic Medication in the Mentally Handicapped. Janssen Special Publication Press. Proceedings booklet from the Whitchurch Hospital meeting, Whitchurch, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, Wales, June 1987.
Rao, J. Neuroleptic induced side effects in the mentally handicapped. Parkinson/Alzheimer Digest, 1989, 5:6-7.
Rao, J. Brain development and developmental disabilities. Clinical Bulletin of the Developmental Disabilities Division, UWO, Dec. 2004, 13 (4):1-3.
Rao, J., Shapiro, C. and Lencucha, R. The relationship between sleep disturbances and aberrant behaviours in persons with intellectual disabilities. Clinical Bulletin of the Developmental Disabilities Division, UWO, Mar. 2004, 15 (1):1-4.
Also from this web page:
Finding Your Way
519-455-5110 ext. 47694
850 Highbury Avenue
London, Ontario, N6A 4H1